PREPARATION FOR VISITS
With Creative Director/or Point people from both centers
- Creative Director will help set up an environment with a pop up center for at least 4 encounters (when she visits the site). Arrange these visits directly after arranging dates and times between the childhood and elder center.
- She will help make it an inviting environment for all-children and elder partners (flowers, natural materials, open-ended materials, tablecloths and materials for a pop up experience). If possible these will be discussed with her and the point people for both centers beforethe visit.
- If either organization has someone available to do movement, music, etc., the possibility of including this person in engagements can be discussed during the planning stage of encounters.
- Point people will assist Director in setting up materials, and will arrange access to the room 1 hour before the encounter(with tables and chairs in place).
- Point people may also assign a person to help with set-up and take-down of materials.
Sites will communicate in advance:
- What kind of tables there are
- Approximate number of participants for the engagement
- Both centers’ point people will decide on the room to be used. Ideally the environment will have natural light, space for tables and open space for movement. Tables will be used for snack and space will also be used for the pop-up materials.
- Both centers will agree to their ideal time for the encounters. Snack time in the morning (from about 9:30 or 10:00 to about 11:30) are usually good times for both groups to meet. Snacks are to be arranged by the point people. It is a great opportunity for children to surprise the elders (making sure all health department guidelines and dietary restrictions are followed).
- Morning encounters are preferable because, in general, both groups are more alert in the morning.
Research and Documentation:
- Documenting these experiences is important for the research aspect of the program. The point people will be ready to document the experience (and/or assign the role) through the use of photography and written words. Videography may be used in addition. The documentation will be used in ongoing meetings to assess which experiences are the most fruitful.
- Ideally, after a visit the documentation is written and sent to the blog on IDEAL18.org within one week.
For the day of the encounters:
- Please make sure children, elders, and staff are healthy to engage.
- Make sure all participants have signed media release forms, and that children have signed permission slips forms to travel to the elder center.
- For all other meetings (when the creative director is not present) the point people will be setting up the space in a similar aesthetic fashion, or assigning someone to do so.
Please have staff members prepare participants by modeling what language to use, etc.
The Director of IDEAL18 will make herself available for any kind of conversations and dialogues as needed by either center either via zoom/Skype or in person (three times a year).